triathlon training for a mom of 4 (almost 6) kids!

real life training plan from a real life mom

Thursday, February 4, 2010

my goal

this goal has been in my head and heart for awhile...

i am doing an international triathlon on august 14, 2010!

we all know i love to exercise.
i always have.
and i've grown to love it even more the last couple years.
i became a runner shortly after having bailey.

and i became a swimmer 2 years after that.

i couldn't do either of those things for more than about 1 minute when i started them.
if I can run or swim...anyone can.

i'll admit that one of the biggest driving forces in me to do those things was weight management.
i've always struggled with my weight.
and exercise helps me keep it under control.

but i've realized over the last year or so that it's not about that anymore at all.
it's truly because i love it.
and i need it...i need it for my sanity.

this also kinda scares me a little bit...to need something so badly.
so, i'm trying to take better care of myself...and not overdo it so that i don't injure anything.

i even started doing yoga once a week (that's all i can handle....)
but i'm starting to enjoy it a little bit and i really think it's good for my body to stretch and all.

i have 1 goal in finishing this triathlon.
i want to finish feeling strong.
i don't care about my time.
i just want to feel strong at the end.

i'm in pretty good shape right now.
i'm running a faster pace than i ever have before.
i'm running more miles a week than i ever have before.
if i'm going to do this...now is the time.

the day i signed up for it, my stomach was upset for the rest of the day.
and i'm sure it will be like that the day before.

but i know i can do this.
so i am.
technically, i could probably do it tomorrow...but i hope to train some towards my goal of feeling STRONG at the end.
i shouldn't have to work out for many more hours a week...i'm just going to have to bike more (right now all i'm doing is a 1 hour spinning class a week!) and run less...which i don't love...but i'll do.

what exactly is an international triathlon?? we start with a 1500 meter (a little less than a mile) swim in a lake (totally weirds me out! i only swim in a pool!!!)
these pics are from the luray website from the last 2 years


then we bike 25 miles
ok...besides not having one of those "triathlon suits" to wear...and hating wearing a cap to swim...it gives me a headache...i also don't have the "right" kind of bike. i can use the bike i have {a hybrid} but i will have to work twice as hard as the people on road bikes {they cost like $2000...not happening...you really can "buy" time in a triathlon!} hoping maybe to borrow a bike?? but, if not, i can use mine.

then we run a 10k (6.2 miles) at the end.
running is my thing.
so i love knowing that this is the last part.

am i crazy?
yes, totally.
but i'm so excited about this!!!

so...this is a real-life training plan for someone with kids and other priorities in life
{but i guess you also have to be highly motivated to workout...and slightly crazy :-)}

No comments:

Post a Comment